EASY FILET MIGNON IN THE OVEN
I’ve tested several different techniques and this is by far the easiest way to cook filet mignon in the oven. My technique calls for Ghee. It is possible to cook these with regular butter but it’s best to use Ghee. Ghee has a much higher smoke point and wont burn like butter will. Also, make sure you use a good cast iron skillet. Be sure to pre-season your cast iron if it’s never been used.
- 2 tenderloin beef filets (apx. 8 oz. and 2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- oven safe digital thermometer
- oven safe cast iron skillet
- aluminum foil to cover steaks for before serving
- Remove steaks from fridge and let them sit for at least an hour to bring to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- Mix together salt and pepper and cover both sides of the steaks with it
- Place your oven safe skillet on the stovetop and heat 1 tablespoon of ghee on high heat
- Once the pan is hot place the steaks in the pan
- Sear the steaks for 3 min
- After 3 min flip the steaks over, remove from heat, and allow the steaks to sear for another 2 min.
- Go ahead and insert the thermometer probe into one of the steaks
- Once the 2 min is up immediately transfer the steaks and the skillet into the oven
- Cook the steaks in the oven for 8-12 min (depending on how rare you like your steak)
- I use a digital thermometer and remove the steaks from the oven once they reach (130 degrees). The temp will continue to rise even after they are out of the oven.
- I put them on a plate, divide the remaining tablespoon of ghee on top of each steak, and loosely cover with foil for 5 min.
- After 5 min, remove the foil and serve!